Labels

Sony A7RV (954) australia (464) melbourne (462) landscape (259) sunset (221) Sony A7RIV (203) sea (177) nature (167) long exposure (166) street art (160) urban (113) ocean (112) f1.2 (109) macro (101) 50mm (99) bird (64) seascape (64) insect (56) abandoned (47) waterfall (46) black and white (34) Sydney (29) Sign2 (11) drone (8) stairs (7) light painting (3)

Thursday, September 10, 2026

Pirates Bay in Mornington Peninsula for Water H2O Thursday

 



I had all four wisdom teeth taken out simultaneously last Friday, and the days since have been something of a small ordeal. Antibiotics, opioids and NSAIDs have become my rather uninvited companions. They are all short-acting, which means the nights have been particularly unforgiving, with sleep arriving only in brief and restless fragments.

For several days, I could do very little. Even blogging, usually such a small pleasure, felt beyond reach. My hobbies were abandoned too, and even watching television became strangely difficult; I simply could not concentrate for long enough to follow a story.

Sigh.

So, instead, I am posting these two images from one of my previous obsessions: exploring the sea caves around their entrances.

There is something irresistible about standing at the threshold of a cave, where the darkness of the rock meets the vast brightness of the sea. The textures inside the cave, the roughness of the stone, and the sudden explosion of high contrast beyond the entrance have always made these places a difficult photographic challenge. Every frame becomes a negotiation between shadow and light, between what the cave conceals and what the sea reveals.

The infrared conversion adds another layer of difficulty. It leaves behind a persistent blue cast and strange artefacts that can be extraordinarily stubborn to remove in software. Yet sometimes those imperfections become part of the memory of the photograph.

Pirates Bay, on the Mornington Peninsula, is full of these sea caves, tucked along the coast like little chambers waiting to be discovered. I used to find the temptation difficult to resist—to climb, crawl and venture ever closer to their entrances in search of another image.

I doubt I will ever return to that sort of practice now. Some adventures belong to a particular time in life, and eventually we learn to leave them where they were.

Perhaps that is why these two images feel especially precious to me. They are not merely photographs of sea caves; they are little remnants of an earlier obsession, preserved from a time when curiosity was enough reason to venture into the darkness.


Sony A7RV + Laowa 9mm f5.6 



Linking Water H2O Thursday


18 comments:

  1. Four wisdom teeth all at once is too much. You are suffering major trauma. I hope you heal quickly and have no other side effects. Pirates Cove is a photographer's dream. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had 2 out at the time. It turned out 4 simultaneously

      Delete
  2. Buena vista desde el interior de la cueva. Y esos tonos azules y verdes le dan un toque de brillantez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, all four at once! I can't imagine how hard and painful this would be!! Your photos are stunning. Sharp dark rocks alongside gorgeous aquas and blues, such a stunning contrast! The cave rocks look somehow almost alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh I agree with the rest that is too many at one time. I hope you are feeling better soon. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sorry to hear about the discomfort. I remember getting my wisdoms out many, many years ago. I seem to recall it took a few days to feel better, and a couple of weeks for the swelling on my facial features to relax. Fortunately, the healing happens eventually. Good luck, and thank you for sharing these beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've captured a wonderful atmosphere at the caves. Sorry about your teeth, but it is all over now and you'll soon feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These two images are wonderful, the colours are beautiful. I agree at certain times of our lives we do certain things because we can and want to, as we move on we can't do these/those things as before. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cuando no se está bien físicamente, no hay ganas de nada.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your temporary pain. Extracting 4 is quite a lot.

    As for photography, we do go through different periods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found these words so true and so poignant: Some adventures belong to a particular time in life, and eventually we learn to leave them where they were.

    You are so right. But I am glad you are revisiting these special places and moments in your exquisite photos. That water! It's so blue and brilliant, I simply love it.

    Meanwhile, I hope you are feeling better soon, perhaps even by now. (Blogger hasn't been updating reading lists so you may have had this up a day or two.) That sounds like a terrible ordeal and I hope you are fully recovered and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creo que fue mas heroicidad el sacarse las cuatro muelas de una vez, que bajar ha hacer esas fotos. Pero como nos dices ya a partir de cierta edad mejor contemplar las fotos de archivo o documentales de ciertos lugares.
    Las fotos perfectas y hay colores que se cuelan pero hacen mas mágicas las fotos.
    Hoy no se que me ocurre no me salen publicaciones nuevas, esta la busque ya que sueles publicar todos días.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnífics colors què fan del paisatge una experiència única.
    Espero que a hores d'ara ja estiguis recuperat.
    Salutacions!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated. Thank you kindly for the kind visits