Labels

Sony A7RV (957) australia (464) melbourne (462) landscape (259) sunset (222) Sony A7RIV (203) sea (177) nature (168) long exposure (166) street art (160) urban (113) ocean (112) f1.2 (109) macro (101) 50mm (99) bird (64) seascape (64) insect (56) abandoned (47) waterfall (46) black and white (34) Sydney (29) Sign2 (11) drone (8) stairs (7) light painting (3)

Tuesday, August 19, 2025

Mycena species found in Lake Sanitarium for Treasure Tuesday

 


A dense cluster of small, conical mushrooms was observed growing from moss-covered, decaying wood at Lake Sanitarium, Mount Macedon, Victoria, in a shaded, damp montane forest. The caps measured approximately 5–20 mm across, deep wine-brown in colour, finely striate, and hygrophanous. Stipes were slender, fibrous, and darker toward the base. The species is likely a wood-inhabiting Mycena, though precise identification would require spore print analysis and microscopic examination. It is saprotrophic and plays a role in wood decomposition. Consumption is not recommended.

Sony A7RV

Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro

Linking Treasure Tuesday







34 comments:

  1. I see a face in the green, top left. Pareidolia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your subtle light and color pallet in this photo. Mushrooms are fascinating life forms, the fruiting bodies of mycelium that can put out a huge network of fibers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely image! Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like something the wicked witch would grow in a fairy tale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seen very similar clusters but not that colour. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Their wine brown, delicate caps sound so striking against the mossy wood. I like how these little fungi quietly recycle the forest, even if they’re not for eating. A true woodland treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting 'shrooms, and a fantastic picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a beautiful find. The deep wine-brown color of those mushrooms is really striking against the moss. Your knowledge of these is amazing it's fascinating how a tiny thing like a mushroom plays such a big role in decomposition. It truly is a hidden treasure.

    I've just published a new post on my blog. I would be honored if you would take a look at www.melodyjacob.com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't eat any type of mushroom. Nice macro shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...nature is always a treasure for me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knew mushrooms could make such a beautiful picture. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mushroom shots are always so dreamlike.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful mushrooms and I love the color.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love also the color of this image! I never heard about these mushrooms!
    Happy WW, Roentare!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a shroom lover and all things nature...this photo.....speaks!!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Foto para una exposición se ve los hongos divinamente.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always appreciated. Thank you kindly for the kind visits